Thursday, June 30, 2016

The Day I Punched My Father in The Face

While i was a child, my parents beats me severally for almost everything and its affected my self esteem, confidence and my school performance back then. Playing football with other kids became a very big sin and I was beaten on a daily basis for playing football with my mates. If my parents heard that I was in my neighbour room watching movie, I'll be beaten like a thief because my parents feel its wrong to watch movies in other people houses. If I return from school and I forgot to wash my cloths and younger ones dirty cloths, I'll be beaten like a mad person. If I finish eaten and I didn't wash the plates immediately, I'll be beaten. Even when I fall sick and I couldn't take drugs because I don't like taking drugs, I'll be beaten for refusing to take drugs on my sick bed. Beating became a norm to me. It became my daily food and I got so used to beating. It got to a stage I wasn't scared to be beaten again when have grown up and taller than my dad.

One day, my dad was beating me, I couldn't take it anymore so I punched him at his face. He was stunned. But I paid dearly for that action. I was beaten to coma and he ceased paying my school fees. My mum had to take responsibility of my education till I enlisted into the Police.


In my opinion, no child deserve to be beaten unnecessarily. But in extreme cases, it is still okay to spank the child a little but never should a child be beaten up severely and abused. Children should be talked to and advised when they go wrong.

It is wrong for the brain if you constantly beat up a child all in the name of correction. Children that are spanked/beaten regularly have less grey matter, and therefore lower IQ scores, and are also more aggressive and have less self control.

A parent's job is to nurture and love their children and not beating and inflicting injuries on them like animals. They are to help them grow and become good people who can make friends and live a nice life in general. Parent's who are constantly beating their children create people who are angry at the world, depressed, bratty, snobbish, arrogant, rude and many other things that define bad people.

Here is why I think so.

1. Children are naive: They are immature, innocent and free from malice. Is there any point in beating up a person who doesn't understand the consequences of his or her action? Who doesn't have a bad intention? I don't think so. Rather parents must help children understand the difference between right and wrong. Tell them and convince them why they should or shouldn't do something. This way they will learn and develop a better understanding of things.

2. It will affect them psychologically: Children can't handle a lot of stress. Beating them could have adverse effects. They may not open up, they might develop a lot of fear and they might think low about themselves. Few may even develop a belligerent attitude and rebel which can cause many problems in the future. Just as I rebelled at my dad.

3. Children learn what they see: Children learn from their surroundings. They look up to their parents and try and be like them. So if parents beat the child severely, he might think it is acceptable to do so and that's how he will continue with such brutal character not only to his or her children but to people around him or her that offend them slightly.
 .
4. It will be difficult to help them understand how severe their act was: For example if parents beat the child for little things. When he or she does something that is worse they'll still beat him or her, such child won't be able to differentiate the intensity of both acts. Its like when my parents beats me for playing football with my mates or watching movie in my friends room, I grew thinking those acts were grievous that deserve been neaten for and it makes me become isolated.

So I really think parents should avoid beating the child but in extreme cases they may simply spank them mildly and not harshly. This way the child will develop a understanding and will know that few acts are completely unacceptable because his parents punished him for those.

By Blog Reader Ezekiel O

from Nigerian: Breaking News In Nigeria | Laila's Blog http://ift.tt/297SkpR
via IFTTT

No comments: